Friday, October 10, 2008

I am ashamed of being a geek

... And so, I now have a pathological fear of geese and foam, but am strangely aroused by foamy geese.
  • 19. My life seems to be going fine, I'm relaxed, calm, enjoying myself. But around me people are going through rough patches. Being robbed, stresses in things that are supposed to be enjoyable, relationship difficulties, stress beyond the call of duty at work, and worse. There's nothing wrong with me and I feel like a prick because of it.

I am a nerd, a geek, a dweeb, etc etc. This is evident by looking at the name, I'd like to think. But as proud as I am about my nerd-stats (level 11 Geek/9 Nerd), in real life I am incredibly ashamed of it and only mention it to people I have met many times and know quite well. The most someone I hardly know will get is "Well, I'm a bit of a nerd", which is usually followed by "Oh my god, so am I. I spend so long looking at things on Youtube and facebook".

... That is not nerd. Nowdays that is called "middle class".

Come back when you can tell me what "THAC0" stands for, or that you realise that last letter is a zero, not an O.

I am a geek. I've number crunched RPG character builds. I've weighed up the pros and cons of Dungeons and Dragons version 3, 3.5 and 4. If the option was available, I would LARP (Live Action RolePlay), I know what LINUX is, I know how many different primary lightsaber fighting styles there are, and can discuss them with some accuracy, I felt incredibly sad when I found out the actor for G'kar from Babylon 5 was dead, I know the chemical properties of being drunk, I have TOYS in my room, my average night in involves either planning a solo assault against an enemy base or plotting out the invasion of my Danish warriors on Europe.

I am a nerd.

And I am ashamed. A hot girl who doesn't seem nerdy asks me what my hobbies are, I'll say "Movies and drinking with mates", instead of "I've watched every single one of my extensive DVD collection with commentary where available, and I'm planning a Lord Of The Rings drinking game night".

Don't look at me.

2 comments:

Pixelation said...

Technically, I was 'burglarised.' You're present for a robbery.

Also, is cool, I'm going through a sandpaperlike patch, but enjoying it. So it goes.

Pixelation said...

My dearest Steveious,

Won't you please post six-word stories on my blog for the next few weeks until we start the group blog? After that... I'll ask you to post so much more. Mwa ha ha ha ha.

-Pixelious