Saturday, September 6, 2008

Is it sexist if the most dangerous, evil person in the world is a woman?

... So there I was, looking the hermaphrodite straight in the eyes to avoid looking at his/her exposed genitals. I was gobsmacked for a second, before repeating the question. "Yes, those are lovely, but do you have the time?"


So, I have a HUGE backstory in my head (and rapidly getting onto paper) for the comic book proposal I'm going to send in and be ignored with. Something I noticed rapidly was my urge for equality of the sexes meant that many of the heroes (nearly half, go me) were women. I've always been a fan of the strong female character who has just as many flaws as the male characters do, not in a sexual way, it's just something I find interesting in a story (although Xena can be my sheath anyday). But as I was coming up with characters, more and more of the villains were men, with like TWO women. I was mortified.

"Damnit Steve!" I exclaimed in public in an expression of the schitzophrenia I wish I had, "women have the right to be evil bastards just as men do, you sexist pig!"

Thing is, rewriting so many villains into female characters would be kinda awkward. So I went the easy route, took the single most powerful badarse evil bastard in the world and turned them into the single most powerful badarse evil bitch in the world.

Then I pondered if people would misread it as me being a sexist pig. "So this guy thinks women are the cause of all evil, huh?" proclaimed evil Freud, stroking where his goatee would've been if he was good Freud (that's how things work with evil twins. If you're clean shaven, evil twin get a goatee, if you have a goatee, evil twin has no goatee and short pubes).

To which I responded in the internal debate waging in my head "But wait! The most powerful superhero is also a woman! Ha ha!"

And then my stereotypical early 20s male side said "So it'll have a chick-fight to end all chick fights, huh? Awesome. Awesome to the max."

I was tempted to say "Screw you all, every character is a hermaphodite, that way no one but conservatives can be offended!", but realised by stereotypical early 20s male side was right. It would be awesome to the max.

P.S. For a dose of irony I was tempted to name this post "Is it sexist if the most dangerous, evil person in the world is a babe with double D's and skanky clothes?", but I'm skating on thin ice as it is.

No comments: