Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Random bag Episode 1: The Prequels

... I have experienced the ultimate kick in the balls of joke delivery. I was repeating a joke a hilarious comedian came up with (Bill Bailey) to people who didn't know it, and one who did. I finished the joke, people chuckled, and the person who knew it said "yeah, I love that joke of his. Except when he delivers it, it's funny.".

Ow. My pride.

  • 64. Wile E. Coyote is the greatest cartoon character ever. Not a fact about me, but I think it expresses my view of life. I enjoy schaudenfraude (I think I spelt that right. The enjoyment of another person's suffering).

1. Droid numbers. That has always bothered me in Star Wars. Since we very, VERY rarely hear of Droids with identical serial numbers (their equivilent of names) let's presume that except in the case of mass production models (like the battle droids) there aren't usually HUGE numbers of a single model. Droids have serial numbers consisting of four digits of numbers and letters, for a total of (36x36x36x36 = 1,679,616 combinations, which is counting unlikely combinations like 11-11 or TT-TT). 1 and a half million combinations, roughly.

The Galaxy is obviously composed of thousands of planets with sentient species (according to http://starwars.wikia.com/ 2000 senate chairs exist). Let's say 500 systems with trade contact exist outside of that 2000, for 2,500. That means there are 600 serial numbers available for each planet (for the sake of this we're assuming the number of highly civilised planets with enormous numbers of droids are equalled out by the culturally backward planets with few/no droids. Considering Tatooine had HUGE numbers of droids, apparently, per capita, then obviously the numbers are even further off).

Something about these numbers is off. It's bugged me for months since I worked it out.

2. At what point was it decided all things needed to have a point?

Oh, that's right.

The Industrial revolution and period of modernism.

My bad. Well I wasn't alive then, was I? Not my fault I forgot.

Screw you Industrial Revolution and Modernism. Now we can't just relax and enjoy things.

3. Oh yeah, that last thing had a point. That point is that I am a firm believer that things do not need to have a practical purpose to have a reason to exist. Anyone who disagrees with me, has not seen the amazingly awesome coolness of things such as custom made StormTrooper outfits, swords hanging from walls, or the joy of seeing top quality home-made Lightsaber fights on Youtube. And if they have seen those and still disagree, then you are a soulless creepy thing whose presence upsets small children, makes dogs bark, puts an itch in the back of the neck of adults, and causes typhoons.

4. I may have already stated this, but I'll state it again. The sooner we find some economically viable substance to mine or exploit in space, the sooner we'll develop space travel. The trouble with it at the moment is that there is no economic reason to go into space, meaning the only resources going to it are reasonablly limited ones from governments. Hell, even America was only discovered when royalty was promised riches from across the land.

5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere If you read this and don't think it's absolutely INCREDIBLE, and something you want to see happen in your lifetime, you're horrible.

6. Everyone know the Byzantine empire? Good? Great, wonderful. They inspired the modern use of the word 'byztantine', which means backstabbing, politically untrustworthy. The reason for this is there were many stories during the medieval period about masses of assassinations and political murders in Byzantine history.

Now let's hear what actually happened. The Byzantines were amazingly civilised about political succession most of the time. It's just occasionally there was no clean line, so they went straight for the poison and backstabbing, killing everyone until one person was left. Normally they were better behaved politically then the Western European kingdoms were.

This sort of misrepresentation of people through English adopting their name is common. Look up Epicurius, the guy who gave us the word Epicurian.

EDIT: Corrected my maths. Added a new one.

No comments: