Saturday, March 21, 2009

Narrative stupidity

People who know me, or long term readers will be familiar with the fact that I have a genuine... I won't say phobia, but in the region, about Zombies. If I watch a zombie movie, I cannot sleep that night. Very little other stuff has that impact on me. Zombies just freak me the hell out. In an effort to combat this I am forcing myself to watch Zombie movies at every available opportunity (in daylight, to minimise the negative effect. Baby-steps fellows, baby steps.).

One of my recent attempts was watching the remake of Dawn of the Dead. A pretty meh movie, and the speed of the zombies actually lessens the impact they have on me, but it made me think of something (stop reading if you don't want spoilers, but this doesn't give away too much, really). I can understand from a narrative perspective WHY the survivors decided to venture out to try and find somewhere safer, it moves the story along beyond "here be living people in the mall, there be dead outside" to a direct confrontation with masses of the living dead which makes for a more climactic finish. It doesn't change the fact the plan is FUCKING STUPID.

Like I said, from a narrative standpoint it makes sense, it moves the story along into something like a peak of action, but it is still completely moronic. They're abandoning a safehouse with food, water and protection (and yes, I do understand that their idea of it being safe has been shaken, doesn't stop the plan being stupid) to attempt to cross through no-man's land in the hope of there being a better safehouse elsewhere. Sorry guys and dolls, but that is completely moronic. They even try to lampshade it by having one of the characters define it in those terms and then agree with it anyway. It doesn't work, it just makes him look like a moron because he knows what's happening but goes along with it anyway.

Their logic is something like this: "If we stay here, eventually we'll probably all be killed. But if we go out there, we'll all have a much higher chance of being killed for a short time, then if we survive in the near future we MIGHT find somewhere safer then we are."

When the narrative requires your characters act like complete idiots, don't expect your audience to not notice. Hell, in the horror genre this is a common occurence.

"What are you doing! Don't friggin' split up!"
"Yeah, great plan, go and check out the dark room by yourself without telling anyone where you're going."
"Why in the name of CHRIST are you leaving the tent without a weapon, despite knowing there's an undead bear trying to eat you!?"

It is Jason's superpower. He inspires idiocy in his victims.

No comments: