Sunday, November 30, 2008

Let's be controversial for the sake of it

A second blog post inside of an hour. I'm on fire, ladies and gents!

  • 55. I suck at languages. The only language other then English I know anything of is German, and that's because I spent two weeks there. All I can say in that is "ein bier danke" (One beer thank you) "bitte shon" (you're welcome) and "gutten tag, niche spreche zie Deutche" (Good day, I speak not the German)

This has nothing to do with nerdiness, you've already had a post on that today, so don't be greedy.

Can SOMEONE explain to me what Thanks-Giving is meant to be about? As an Australian I have not, nor do I believe I ever will, understood it or participated in it.

Can someone just please explain to me what it's purpose is? It's meeting up with your family and having a big dinner (that apparently induces fatigue in people who eat it) on a day that props up an entire faction in the meat industry. This same family who you would avoid like the plague most other days of the year, you smile at, engage pleasentries you really don't mean, giving them well wishes, smiling benignly while thinking "You just spent the last 30 minutes complaining about the family members who couldn't make it, now you're going to go to them and complain to them about the rest of us". Then when they're finally gone, when the relatives have up and left your sight, granting you respite from the company of people you wouldn't have anything to do with if you didn't share genes, you realise you've got to go get Christmas presents for the bastards!

"It is a holiday where you give thanks." What? I don't need a holiday for that! I do that every day!

"Oh thank the force I managed to get here in time for the bus"
"Thanks for giving me a lift, I owe you one"
"Thank you for your mediocre service, underpaid worker of McDonalds"
"Thank you for this divine beer, awesome bartender."
"Thank christ I survived that hangover in one piece."

I don't NEED a day where I'm obliged to thank people, it's like the Valentine's day of gratitude, except with large plates of food instead of cards and public displays of affection.

So Thanksgiving day is where we gather with people (who we have nothing but genes in common with), eating food (which I do normally) and giving thanks (that isn't deserved).

You can keep that Holiday, America. I'm going to sit back and enjoy Beer Friday, thank you.

No comments: