Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Good vs Fun

... And that's why I had a third testicle for three years. The story about how I lost the extra is less funny, though.

  • 44. I want a bible with the middle cut out, to hide stuff in. It's no fun having a secret book with hidden things unless it's blasphemy at the same time. The real problem is I've got nothing worth hiding. Then again, I imagine there's something wonderfully ironic about keeping condoms in it for future use.

Just a short post today, since I'm busy writing things (AKA procrastinating and meaning to write stuff).

Whenever I watch movies or TV shows, I don't simply judge them on a single scale (the commonly used "Good or Bad" scale), since so few movies these days are genuinely good. Instead I've added another scale (just like how 3rd edition DnD used good/evil and lawful/chaotic. Oh yeah, I just made a Dungeons and Dragons reference. Ladies, I AM available), that of fun/unfun.

Ever seen a movie that really wasn't made well, but you just ENJOYED it? That was a bad movie, but a fun one. Usually a bad movie drags the fun scale down as well, so often you get a 'neutral' good/bad movie (it wasn't really good, but it wasn't really bad) being saved by the fun scale. Some movies are so bad they swing back around to fun again (such as the world renown "Plan 9 from Outer Space"), while some movie are just bad AND unfun (Manos: Hands of Fate).

Usually the scale is used to refer to why you enjoyed mindless action movies (Bad Boys or The Mummy) despite the fact they really... just... weren't... good. But it can sometimes refer the other way. Alot of serious dramas try to be good without any fun, putting all their apples in one basket. Probably the epitome of a good-but-not-fun movie is "No Country for Old Men". That was a DAMNED good movie. It just... drained the fun out of the whole room.

At a friend's insistance I once watched a movie called Blood and Bones. NEVER watch that movie. It drained all the fun out of me. There were about five of us watching it, and when the end credits rolled I stood up and said loudly "Well, I'm off to get pissed until I smile again." Nearly everyone joined me in that endeavour.


Now, next time you walk out of a movie you enjoyed despite it not being good, you can say "It was fun, but it wasn't good."

2 comments:

Pixelation said...

BOOK IDEA:


"So there I was, balls deep in the warden's ass..." and other NSSs.

Nerdgasm said...

Title for the book
"And the bagel up my arse was even BIGGER.
A.K.A.
How to confuse friends and weird people out."