Saturday, July 4, 2009

This blog is dying

Not really, it's just looking a bit emaciated after I haven't been feeding it the required number of weekly posts. I'm going to continue starving it on account that I'm a lazy prick, but for now have a short post.

JADE EMPIRE

One of the games Bioware have pumped out after I jumped heavily on their bandwagon post-Neverwinter Nights 1, and with the dubious honour of being the one I haven't played. Until NOW, that is.

Let's get one thing out of the way. The character advancement system seems... dull. Like, really, REALLY dull. There's NO meat to it, differentiating between characters isn't easy, since there are only three stats (the all-inclusive 'Body', and the rather baffling 'Mind' and 'Spirit') and the only other customisation is for martial arts styles which is more like generic upgrades. The lack of equippable weaponry and armor is sort of mind-scratchingly bewildering as well.

However, for a game with such dating graphics it's aged well. Like, REALLY well. There's a unifying artistic theme that just strikes the right note. A sort of 'Magi-punk china' feel that just draws you in and immerses you quite well. When one of the Big Bad Evil Guys (The 'Black Hand') violates the aesthetic (he looks like a black clad samurai) he stands out and seems otherworldly, but he still looks like he BELONGS. It's not like dumping a medieval Knight in the middle of a street, as anachronistic artistic styles in a game can sometimes look like.

Although I would like to see ONE RPG where your village doesn't get destroyed. Seriously, if I'm ever in a quiet harmless town and I see a protagonist walking past, I am getting the fuck out of dodge.

No comments: