Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Super hero MMOs

Champions Online

As I have mentioned previously, I was a regular player of City of Heroes. Despite knowing it was the right move to abandon the game when I did, I still occasionally feel pangs of longing to return to the pixelated spandex and beat up two dimensional characters, and that's just the PvP (HA HA, I kid, City of Heroes PvP was atrocious).

To those of you not in the know, at one point during the maintaining of City of Heroes, Cryptic, the lead developers, sold the game to NCSoft, the publishers, and went off on their own. Except they didn't, not really, they instead decided to make Marvel Online, a rival Super-hero based MMO from the ground up, using the feedback they'd received about City of Heroes but had been unable to use because of engine limitations.

But then Marvel pulled their sponsorship, so all would be right in the field of fair-play. So Cryptic changed it from Marvel Online to Champions Online, and once more things were not right in the field of fair-play.

So now here I am, stuck between a rock and a hard place. The rock? Potentially enjoyable online superhero gaming. The Hard Place? Pain in the arse arbitrary morals. I know I owe NCSoft nothing, they're as much a faceless corporation as Cryptic is. It just bugs me that Cryptic split off to make their own game in the exact same area their previous game is based, using information gained from their previous game. It doesn't feel right or ethical to me.

But holy shit, they have a specially designed pre-conceived character type about Technology Suits. Holy shit. I have a nerdrection.

No comments: