Monday, July 13, 2009

New Mechwarrior game - GLEEEE

Whoops, I've let the blog wither slightly. Not much to report, been quite busy in real life with assignments and uni work.

Here's a follow up on the previous post: A full blown New Mechwarrior Trailer. Be sure to watch it in HD. Ok, let's get a brief blow-by-blow look at it.

Just looking at the beginning, it does look like the Mechs have a sense of size, now. It feels like you're piloting a massive 60 ton behemoth right there in the intro. I'll admit it took me a little while to work out it was a Warhammer. An interesting concept is the use of unmanned drones to gain updates on the battlefield rather then just "Radar does all". The Developers have stated they want to try and give all weights of 'Mech a use, so I imagine light 'mechs will function as scouts effectively.

Despite the Jenner being massively outclassed by the Warhammer, the pilot is worried and makes a point of ducking behind cover. This says alot about how dangerous the combat will be. Plus, I have to admit I'm excited about the damage to the buildings. When the Jenner lands on the building you can see the windows shatter, showing how much pressure the building is under. A good missile launch and it collapses. Not to mention the building the Warhammer used for cover gets damaged by the shots fired at it.

In enters the Atlas. I admit I cheered when I first saw that. The Atlas feels genuinely MASSIVE, and watching it move carries across this feeling. I'll admit I'm disappointed that the Autocannon seems to be a single shot weapon, but what can ya do? The PPCs seem to be a weapon to genuinely fear, a couple of good shots from them and the Atlas is in trouble. Note after the PPCs fire, you can see the barrels glowing red, showing the heat build up. Perhaps most important, watch the Warhammer when it gets hit by an AC/20 shot, it gets knocked around massively. While I could understand the reason for this in Mechwarrior 4, it still bugged me a bit. Still, it'll add another element of difficulty to the game.

All in all, I am excite. I am very excite.

No comments: