Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Obsidian hates me

I was planning on posting tomorrow, I probably still will, but I just need to get this off my chest now.

Obsidian, the gaming studio, hates me. "Why?" you ask with the ignorance of only someone not exposed to my rage at this matter can have, "why do you think they hate you?"

These people somehow manage to take the things I enjoy, the games I really enjoy and appreciate in the genre I love...

They take these established, successful and enjoyable intellectual properties, enjoyable intellectual properties I have played through multiple times and lost many'a hour on them. And shit on them.

Exhibit A: Neverwinter Nights. Neverwinter Nights was a rather mediocre story (the expansion packs greatly improved upon that) based on the dungeons and dragons ruleset. I became greatly enamored in the ruleset, it was my first exposure to persistant world gaming and roleplaying. I lost many years of my life playing on that thing. It had a powerful, simple to use toolset for creation of your own maps and easy to understand character construction that allows for highly interesting characters of great variety. Even beyond the rather simplistic storylines, the players came up with some incredible scripted modules (groupings of maps that told a story). It was a great game.

Obsidian take over development of Neverwinter Nights 2, and put out a bug riddled game (if I have to cheat just to get a scripted sequence to teleport me like it's supposed to, YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG) with characters I genuinely wanted to throw in a river attached to a bag of kittens attached to ROCKS. And then to turn an insult into a pair of broken kneecaps they... GNARNEHGESUEHW.

I have raged enough about Neverwinter Nights 2 on this blog. You can find it yourself. Gnarhed.


Exhibit 2: Knights of the Old Republic. Yes, some of the characters were annoying, but it was a grand, epic tale of betrayal and conflict in a subtle twist on the familiar Star Wars universe. It was a clever game, it was a well designed game, it was a game I genuinely got into.

Enter Obsidian once more to take all that and smash it against a rock. Then poo on it. With Knights of the Old Republic 2. I have, as well, raged about that in various points on this blog and thus won't repeat myself.

Basically so far out of my two encounters with Obsidian entertainment, they have horribly mangled two games I genuinely enjoy. If they made bad games, I could forgive and avoid them. Lots of companies make bad games, and seem to do as well with them as Obsidian does with it's bad games. But no, they take existing, successful, enjoyable Intellectual Properties, and mangle them beyond repair. They forever taint my memories of the previous, enjoyable games. Instead of "Man, Knights of the Old Republic was a swell game", now my memories are forever "man, KOtoR was a swell game. It's a pity the sequel was so shit."

So what have they done now? What have they done that has earned so much of my ire?


They are making the new Fallout title. Fallout 4.


Goddamnit Obsidian. Goddamnit. There's only so far you can push a man.

No comments: