Monday, January 12, 2009

Non-nerdy - Weight loss

Two men are in a bar, one of them goes to light a cigarette, but his lighter won't start. He walks up to the second man who already has a lit cigarette, a distinguished gentleman in his late 40s, and says "Excuse me, but can I have a light?"
"No."
"No? Why not?"
"Because if I give you a light, we'll probably start talking, and I'll probably order you a drink. You'll sit down, we'll continue talking, and find ourselves getting along remarkably well. After a while of this you say you should be going, you need to get something to eat. I'll mention I have a roast in the oven waiting for my return, and you'll come home with me. We'll eat dinner, open a bottle of wine, relax and have an enjoyable evening. About that time you'll realise how late it is, too late to catch a cab home reasonably, and I'll offer to let you stay in the spare room. My beautiful daughter is 23 and recently returned home from University, she is also staying in the spare room. Your eyes will meet and you two will fall madly in love, and you will make love to her while I am upstairs. You will get her pregnant, after which you will refuse to marry her, causing immense damage to her life."
"But I will! I will marry her!"
"No you won't, because I won't give you a light."
- Dave Allen (Paraphrased)

  • 94. I used to think of myself as a bit of a loner. I've recently realised how wrong this is. If I don't have regular social contact with people, either over the internet or face to face (preferably with alcohol in hand) then I begin to go a bit loony.

I find this hilarious. I am of a reasonably large build, and for that reason I have, over the past few months, adopted an exercise program. It consists of an exercise bike and some weights, with occasional (when I remember) sit ups thrown in. There has been a visible improvement, and comparing me to my graduation photo, taken about 4-5 months ago (the precise date is on this blog somewhere) shows there is visible change for the better.

Yesterday I jumped on the scales to see how much difference there actually is.

I am 3 kilograms (approximately six and a half pounds) lighter. Precisely. 3 kilograms after 4-5 months work.

I find this hilarious. I KNOW I've improved, I can feel a scary amount of muscle in places it wasn't before ("Oh, I didn't know there was meant to be a lump there. Wow!"), and I can see and feel the difference. I know I have lost fat and replaced it with a degree of muscle. All this combines to mean I find it hilarious that after months of work I've lost 3 kilo.

I have told this to about four people as a joke. Every single one of them has responded in a similar manner.

"It's a start."
"Slow and steady is the way to go, mate."
ETC.

I understand and appreciate why they are doing this, trying to encourage me in case I'm getting a bit down about it all. But c'mon, surely SOMEONE else in the world would notice I was grinning as I said it (I'll admit this part is difficult over MSN) and laugh.

I get to say "In my nearly 6 months of exercise, I have lost 3 kilograms".

Someone else, laugh!

No comments: