Wednesday, April 22, 2009

No 40K for me

Over the past few weeks I've been developing a burgeoning interest in Warhammer 40,000. Specifically in the background, which had such potential to be cool, but does seem to be squandered.

To summarise my feelings about it: I believe Games Workshop is one of the more heartless companies that exist, and a large number of the people who are heavily interested in their products scare me. They are like Dungeons and Dragons fans who have put hundreds upon hundreds of dollars into a single competition for the sole purpose of beating others. Granted I'm sure there are plenty of normal, healthy fans who realise the purpose of a game is not to win, but to play, but the stories I hear (which I acknowledge will be the extreme ends of things) are not ones about normal people.

Never-the-less, in my search for SOME kind of hobby that I can do when I wish (rather then at some scheduled time of week or month) I toyed with the idea of attempting to collect, model and paint an army of these dudes.

I gave up that idea when I checked out how much it would cost.

For those not involved in this particular subculture, wargames usually function by having each unit be worth a particular points value, and players use a set points value to attempt to beat each other. This means that players will strive to collect a particular total points value worth of models. In Warhammer 40,000 (the game I was looking into) a normal points value army to build up to is 1,500-2,000 points. I calculated a sample 1,500 point army that I might use, went to the official site, and checked out how much this would cost.

$750 arse swilling dollars.

Do you have ANY idea how much alcohol I could buy with that?

Screw that, screw that royally.

I'll stick with my other hobby. It only requires 1 hand*


*I speak, of course, of reading. Only need one hand to turn the pages.

No comments: