Thursday, August 20, 2009

G.I. Joe is an awesome movie

Having seen G.I. Joe last night, I can honestly say it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I've had with a movie lately. Note, I did not say it was a good movie. It is a decidedly average movie on the good/bad scale. What it is, is fun. Pure, unfiltered, fun.

The best analogy I heard for G.I. Joe (which is a pity, since I heard it from moviebob, the movie reviewer at the Escapist, someone whom I am sincerely unimpressed with, and it always bothers me when I agree with people I don't like) was that it was like the action scenes were designed by a child in a sandbox with access to an unlimited number of G.I. Joe toys. You seriously expect to see the omnipotent hand of a seven year old reach down and move the actors, making the required sound effects with his mouth as he does so.

It is a movie that knows precisely what it is trying to do (entertain) knows precisely who it's target audience is (people who want an entertaining action movie, majoritively guys) and knows precisely how to do this (explosions and arses you could bounce a coin off).

This is a fun movie. It's a movie you rent on blue-ray, go over to your friends place with the huge TV, and watch with about four guys, two cases of beer, and enough popcorn to make a scale replica of the Great Wall of China, complete with soldiers guarding it from the Mongolian hordes. You don't NEED to watch it. You can stand around talking shit, and then occasionally cheering as you see an awesome bit of action.

The movie is like if you asked a 30 year old to come up with a James Bond plot, and a bunch of children to come up with the action scenes, then gave it both to a professional writer along with a bunch of comics and connection to wikipedia and said "make it so".

A great many things about what made this movie so fun were explained when I looked up the director. He's the guy who did all the Mummy movies.

The Mummy movies - magic + superscience - old setting + "in the not too distant future" setting - main smartarse hero + main stoic hero + smartarse sidekick + unironic Ninja + more arse + submarines = X

X = G.I. Joe
X also happens to equal fun.

Yeah, that's the equation of the movie. It WORKS.

No comments: