Saturday, July 19, 2008

So, hey, I'm a graduate now

It's official. I have successfully completed my Bachelor of Social Science.

I now have three options.

1. Get a job in a field I doubt I will enjoy.
2. Get a job to tie me over until Honours next year, so I can potentially get a better job, in a field I doubt I will enjoy.
3. Misc.

Currently 'Misc' looks attractive. I think I'll aim for Honours next year anyway, just to delay the inevitable, but between the end of next year (honours finishing) and now, I hope to finish the script I currently have draft 1 down of, and hopefully be started on at least one more.

Ahh, the joys of niavity. The thought I can just write a script, on spec, send it in to Hollywood and be credited as the scriptwriter for a multi-million dollar extravoganza.

The thing is, in the back of my mind I have very little doubt it'll happen. All my life I've been able to coast by with a minimum of work. The most work I EVER put in was for the HSC, and even then it was only a couple of hours a day. I got into the High school I wanted by dint that my brother was already in.

From there, I found out about a it, and with my ability to talk bullshit, I was able to get a 'scholarship' for the Uni that gave me an extra 5 UAI points.

Since my brother knows the tricks of the trade, he told me how to sneak through a backway into the degree I want (apply for a degree with a lower UAI, and transfer once I'm already in).

Those two tricks combined were all that got me into Uni. From there I've done shit all work and been a solid 'pass' the entire time, slightly leaning up into credits at times. The worst bit? If you added TWO marks to my entire 200 level and above University career, I would be solid credits. To me that screams 'bell curve scaling'. I have done next to no work my whole life, and I've been one step away from credits.

Story of my life. Next to no work, have it all handed to me. I know the moment I step into the real world, it'll all be different. Dog eat dog eat wimp, all that sort of shit. But in the back of my head I'm so used to it all being just... HANDED to me that I fully expect to send my script off to hollywood, get a phone call a few weeks later, and be asked to fly down to write them a few more scripts they can buy the options of from me.

I'm in for a rude fishing shock.

No comments: