Thursday, July 24, 2008

Already missing days (AKA. What is terrifying)

Things do not look good for our lovely little Nerdgasm blog. I've only been doing this a couple of weeks, and already I'm missing days. Although in my defense.... I forgot.

That really didn't warrent a "although in my defense" prefix, did it?

Ok, since today and tomorrow I'll be busy rewriting my script into draft 2, and Saturday I'll be leaving to drink excessively with my Uni mates and mates of theirs, I present a three part post, explaining the three aspects to something being scary. Those three parts are:

1. Inevitable

2. Unpredictable

3. Corrupting

Now, let's discuss part 1, the Inevitable.

Unlike other genres which usually try to maintain the image that there is a SMALL chance the hero could win, that he/she/they are striving for, in Horror the usual modus operandi is is to imply there is no hope of victory, and whatever hopes there are, are being cruely snatched away. They're being killed off one by one by a crazy slasher who can find them no matter where they go. They're trapped in a single semi-defensible area surrounded by flesh eating Zombies, and supplies are running low. The Vampire pack has them surrounded and they have no weapons to fight them off with.

Horror is predictated on the foe that cannot be stopped, and the inevitable fate awaiting 90% of the characters. Nothing embodies this better then the endless zombie horde. Kill as many as you like, run as far as you like, eventually they WILL find you, and when that happens it will not be a pleasent death. You will be held down by dozens of them, trying to push them off you as the inevitable mouths descend to feed upon you, nails clawing at your skin trying to rip off a piece for themselves.

Long story short, the fate that cannot be stopped is scary.

Tomorrow: The unpredictable.

No comments: